Web Privacy Statement
Effective Date: 3/10/20
Please note that this Policy does not apply to personal information collected by any other entities, including our corporate customers, or to the extent that we collect personal information in the role of a service provider on behalf of our customers, including where we offer to our customers mortgage guaranty insurance, for which our customers may provide us with information, including personal information, about individuals whose loans they are insuring.
Except as otherwise described in this Policy, each of our customers, not Essent, controls what information about you that they submit to us. This content may include types of personal information e.g., name, contact information, mortgage term and amount. Use of this content by Essent is governed by agreements between Essent and the customer.
For detailed privacy information applicable to situations where an Essent customer uses Essent’s services, please reach out to the respective customer directly. We are not responsible for the privacy or data security practices of our customers, which may differ from those set forth in this Policy. If not stated otherwise either in this Policy or in a separate disclosure, we collect such personal information in the role of a service provider on behalf of a customer who is responsible for the applicable personal information.
If your personal information has been submitted to us by or on behalf of an Essent customer and you wish to exercise any rights you may have under applicable data protection laws, please inquire with the applicable customer directly.
This Policy does not apply to information pertaining to employees of Essent, its customers, or any service provider or commercial entity. This policy does not apply to Essent’s MI Online ordering portal.
1. Information We Collect
When you visit our Site or through Interactions with you, we may collect the following categories of personal information directly from you:
- Identifiers, such as your name, user name, home or other physical address, email address, and/or telephone or facsimile number.
- Financial account information, such as bank account details, if applicable.
- Commercial information, such as details of shares held and transaction history.
- Professional or employment-related information, such as your organization name, professional contact information, and/or job title.
- Information you provide to us in connection with requests for promotional consideration, educational offerings, or credit counseling.
- Any other information you provide when you communicate with us.
We may combine such information with information we already have about you.
We may retain personal information to perform the service requested and improve the models used in our operations.
When you visit our Site, we also may automatically collect Internet or other electronic network activity information from the Site or your device, such as:
- Web logging: Like many other websites, we automatically collect and store log file information such as IP addresses, browser type, internet service provider, referring/exit pages, operating system, date/time stamp and/or clickstream data. We do not link this automatically collected data to other information we collect about you.
- Cookies, web beacons, and other technologies: Our Site uses technologies such as cookies, beacons, tags, and scripts to collect information to analyze trends and use of the site, remember users’ settings, administer the Site, and better understand our users’ preferences and interests. Please see the “Third-Party Information Collection” section below for more information. We do not respond to web browser “Do Not Track” signals.
2. How We Use Information
Essent may use information for the following purposes:
- Maintain or improve our Site, or other products and services including enhancing the models we use in operations;
- Communicate with you, such as to respond to your inquiries or to provide you with information, periodic alerts or updates, or any other materials that you have requested from us, as well as shareholder materials;
- Email or otherwise send you marketing or other promotional offers and information about Essent’s or others’ products or services that may be of interest to you;
- Manage your shareholding in Essent Group Ltd. and keep your record on the shareholder register up-to-date;
- Fulfill our contractual obligations to shareholders;
- Pay dividends to you and allow you to exercise your rights as a shareholder;
- Protect the security and integrity of the Site or otherwise protect or enforce Essent’s rights;
- Comply with our legal obligations or to respond to court or government regulator requests for information;
- Research and modeling related to our business;
- As otherwise necessary or appropriate in connection with our business; and
- Fulfill any other purpose for which you provide the information as we may otherwise disclose at the time of collection.
We may use de-identified or aggregate data for any purpose without limitation.
3. Disclosure of Information by Essent
Essent has not sold your personal information in the preceding 12 months.
Information may be masked or otherwise de-identified prior to being disclosed to any third party. Essent may share information in the following circumstances:
- Among our various businesses and affiliated companies.
- To service providers that provide services to help us with our business activities.
- To maintain our shareholder register and process shareholders’ personal information on our behalf.
- When reasonably necessary to protect our rights or property, protect your health and safety or the health and safety of others or to investigate fraud.
- To respond to the request of a government-sponsored enterprise.
- As required by law, such as to comply with a subpoena or similar legal process or with regulatory agencies or government bodies.
- In the event Essent is involved in a merger, acquisition, or sale of all or a portion of its assets, or in the unlikely event of bankruptcy.
- With your prior consent.
We disclose the following categories of personal information for our or our service providers’ operational purposes, or other notified purposes:
- Financial account information
- Commercial information
- Device and online identifiers and related information
- Billing or payment information
- Internet, application, or network activity information
- Professional or employment-related information
Essent does not sell or disclose personal information to third parties for marketing purposes or under other circumstances that would require either that prior notice be given to the consumer or that the consumer be afforded an opportunity to opt out of such disclosure under the provisions of the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act and FACTA.
4. Third-Party Information Collection
5. Safeguarding Information
Essent uses reasonable physical, technical, and administrative safeguards to protect personal information from unauthorized access, disclosure, use, loss, misuse, or unauthorized alteration, or destruction. Notwithstanding these security safeguards, it is impossible to guarantee 100% security in all circumstances.
6. Retention of Information
We will retain your personal information for as long as necessary in connection with our business and business purposes, and we may still retain, use, and disclose your information as necessary to comply with our legal, regulatory, or record retention obligations. Any request to delete your personal information is subject to these obligations and restrictions. Note that deletion may involve aggregation, deidentification, or anonymization of data. We may use aggregated, deidentified, or anonymized data for any purpose.
7. California Residents
If you are a California resident, you may have the following rights with respect to your personal information, subject to applicable exceptions:
- Right to access. You may be entitled to request that we disclose to you the specific pieces of your personal information that we have collected in the 12 months preceding your request.
- Right to know. You may be entitled to receive the following information with respect to the 12 months preceding your request: the categories of personal information we have collected, the sources from which we collected that personal information, the purposes for which we collected and shared that personal information, the categories of personal information that we sold, if applicable, and the categories of third parties to whom we sold personal information, if applicable, and the categories of personal information that we disclosed for a business purpose.
- Right to deletion. You may be entitled to request that we delete the personal information that we have collected from you. We will use commercially reasonable efforts to honor your request, in compliance with applicable laws. Please note, however, that we may need or be required to keep such information, such as for our legitimate business purposes or to comply with applicable law.
Please note that these rights may be limited under applicable laws. For example, if we collect your personal information in our role as a service provider to a customer, you will need to contact that customer directly to exercise your rights.
If you are a California resident and would like to exercise one of your rights, please contact us at email@example.com or at 877-569-6547. Please note that we may require additional information from you to verify your identity and process your request. We will not discriminate against you because you exercise any of the consumer rights described in this section. Essent has not sold personal information in the preceding 12 months.
8. International Users and Transfers
9. Children’s Information
This Site is not directed at children under the age of thirteen (13), and Essent does not knowingly collect personal information from any child under the age of thirteen (13) through this Site. If we learn that we have collected or received personal information from a child under 13 without verification of parental consent, we will delete that information.
10. Links to Non-Essent Websites and Third Parties
The Site may provide links to third-party websites for your convenience and information. If you access those links, you will leave the Essent Site. Essent does not control these third-party websites or their privacy practices, which may differ from Essent’s. We do not endorse or make any representations about third-party websites. The information you choose to provide to unrelated third parties is not covered by this Policy.
Subject to applicable law, this Privacy Notice may be updated periodically and without prior notice to you to reflect changes in our personal information practices. Each time we update this Privacy Notice, we will indicate when it was most recently updated and its effective date. Unless otherwise stated, changes in our personal information practices are immediately applicable upon publication of the revised Privacy Notice. A copy of the Policy may also be obtained by written request sent to the address below.
12. Contact Information
Chief Compliance Officer
Essent Guaranty, Inc.
Two Radnor Corporate Center, 3rd Floor
100 Matsonford Road
Radnor, PA 19087